The phrase “writer’s block” can arguably be the two most hated words for any blogger, website owner, or content strategist. It’s easy to understand why because it doesn’t take much for writers to start feeling worn out, bogged down, or completely out of ideas. However, creativity is never too far away if you know how to look for it. I have five suggestions that can help weary writers find new blog writing topics.
- Repurpose old posts. Even though you might feel like the biblical quote “there is nothing new under the sun” rings true, there is still plenty that you can do starting with things you have already written! Try going through your archived posts and look for opportunities for new content. Maybe a post has information that is outdated or your opinions on a topic have changed, which can make for an easy opportunity to write fresh content.
- Research your competition. Make sure you are staying up-to-date with your competitors and what they are talking about. Odds are you will find a lot of discussion about a topic and in turn, that discussion could easily be a post for your site.
- Create a guide, eBook or tutorial. If you feel like you have already covered a topic well enough, it is always a good idea to write a guide about that topic. A guide or eBook allows you to elaborate on your expertise and easily helps readers learn.
- Guest blogging. Encourage guest posters or even become a guest poster yourself. This will not only help build your site content, it will help build trust and bring in a whole new audience of readers to your site.
- Start a series or a list. Starting a list or a series helps give you a focus. It also helps engage readers by giving them something to look forward to.
There are countless other ways to help you with content writing ideas. Whatever your industry, make sure you are researching your competition, updating your content, keeping vital information easy to find on your site, and promoting your site to new audiences by guest blogging.